Dr. Daniel E. Cooper, M.D.
Dr. Cooper is the Head Team Physician for the Dallas Cowboys and formerly served in the same role for the Dallas Stars Hockey Team (1993-2011). He has been a Head Team Physician in professional sports (NFL and NHL) for over three decades. In addition to his current affiliation with the Dallas Cowboys, Dr. Cooper is under contract as the exclusive US Consultant to Real Madrid Club Futbol in Liga BBVA of the Spanish Premier Division. He is a widely recognized authority in the field of sports medicine, sub-specializing in injuries to the knee and shoulder. He treats all types of athletes: professionals, collegiate, high school and recreational. He serves as an independent consultant to numerous collegiate and professional teams, sports agents and their players. Dr. Cooper has published over 70 scientific articles and book chapters, and participated as faculty in over 50 instructional course lectures.
Awards / Distinctions Subsection:
- Top 50 Knee Surgeons in America by Becker’s Healthcare Review.
- 2013 Jerry “Hawk” Rhea Award, which is presented annually by the National Football League’s Athletic Trainers Society to whom they consider to be the outstanding team physician in the NFL. In addition, he received the Excellence in Research Award from the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine for his post-graduate research related to graft strength for ACL surgery in the knee.
- Elected by his physician peers to D Magazine’s annual edition of “Best Doctors in Dallas” 30 times, and has been listed numerous times by America’s Best Doctors and Texas Super Doctors. He was recently elected into the “Best Doctors Hall of Fame.”
- 2019 Kappa Delta Award for best research in orthopaedics by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, as well as the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine’s prestigious 2014 O’Donoghue Award for the best clinical research in sports medicine.
- Four different national awards for excellence in research related to ACL surgery.
Education and Degrees
- University of Tennessee on full athletic scholarship, a Magna Cum Laude graduate